I have recently started using vision control, more specifically Git. Git is supposed to manage the different branches you have of a app and allow you to switch between them quick and easily. Xcode has built in Git integration. The question is: Are you putting all your eggs in one basket by using Git?
Today I found out that my git repository had corrupted and that I am unable to navigate between the different branches of my program. Whats worse is that it corrupted ages ago and I hadn't noticed because I haven't needed to change branch. The only lucky thing is that I manually kept a copy of the different branches because I was sceptical of git from the start.
Id be interested in what other programmers think of the version system Git?
I've used it in open source projects before, but never set up my own Git repository. I was going to use it for my final year project but was unsure where to start with using it, however I'm sure there must be some sort of error recovery built into a widely used system such as Git.
ReplyDeleteWell Ive started using it more and more. The Xcode integration isn't great. If you are going to use it you will have to learn the command line.
ReplyDeleteHighly recommend using GIT or some other version control variant. Wouldn't trust Xcode though, and this will only manage the Xcode project files anyway and not other files in the repository. I use Tower which is great. http://www.git-tower.com/
ReplyDelete